Established in 1852 by Luciano Francisco Ramon de Murrieta, this historic bodega was the first of the famous Rioja houses to be established and is still in existence today. As the original visionary and pioneer of the Rioja region, Luciano was made Marques de Murrieta by Queen Isabel II. After the death of the Marques in 1911, the bodega was taken over by the Olivares family and then in 1983 by D. Vicente Cebrian-Sagarriga, Count of Creixell. The new owner's aim was to establish Bodegas Marques de Murrieta among the best wineries in the world and his son Vincente continues to uphold this ambition. Maria Vargas, head winemaker, brings youth and modern ideas to the historic bodega. She continues to develop and evolve the 'Murrieta' signature style to the wines highlighting more of the natural fruit flavours, creating supple yet age-worthy red wines.